
Sometimes being an American can get you into quite intriguing situations here in Europe. I am sure others who have traveled to Europe would agree and then there are some who would also disagree with me. (Those who may disagree are either a) people who had a fairly short vacation here b)studied at an English/American school abroad or c) came on business only.)The picture above demostrates good 'ol American censorship...
As you may or may not know America has many stereotypes. Some of which include: " stupid American" (this includes anything from little geographical and culture knowledge to trying to speak English with people in country's whose language is not English to worshipping horrible American celebrities...etc.). We also have a rep of being binge drinkers(especially college kids), loud, very sexual and easy to get in bed (sorry, to be blunt), poor dressers (hoodies, sweats, mom jeans, tennis shoes..etc..), fat, conservative, "anti-social change," Bush lovers, pompous, "We're #1 mentality," either Godless or Evangelical, Racist...list goes on and on.
Now you may think you are not any of these things, but most likely you are atleast one. And, I tried to think of ways to defend "us." But, I'm asked ALL the time (seriously, like on a daily basis) about the truth of these stereotypes and I can always think of multiple people that I personally know to fit each one. Not to mention, American movies, music, celebrities, fashion, etc..is not exactly on our side.
Because people are very aware of "our" culture, geography, language, history and attitude it can be rather frustrating and embarrassing (for lack of better wording) to be an American abroad. I have been verbally attacked to the point of tears not to mention spit at and harshly sworn (extremely vulgar English slang) at by completely random people on the street. When I studied in Mexico, one morning we found a large painted man with a word bubble that said "Go home Yankees," which is another example of harrassment.
I have been told that "All Americans are bad," "America's taxes are the financial source to all evil in the world," "American's are all rich snobs." And my favorite insult was that by the Portuguese gentleman sitting behind me on the plane (had some geographical confusion, but thats beside the point)..."Look its San Francisco, next stop is the World Trade Center to bomb it..."
Generally this type of harrassment only would occur to Americans who are in groups of 2 or more people (which is how it always seems to be when I get "attacked.") I'm sort of relieved that I'm going to "spring break" as a solo American, its probably safer and better that way for me.
Just a bit of advice from a seasoned traveler...(this is of course if you are trying to avoid harrassment)
When you go abroad do not wear shorts, flip flops, hoodies, pleated pants, "mom jeans", shirts with words, sweat suits, or tennis shoes if you are trying to fit in, don't bother defending American politics (it is not worth it), if you are republican and/or voted for Bush: DO NOT ADMIT IT, attempt to speak the national language and use cheat sheets as guides (this shows respect for the culture), do not make a large drunken public scene, be weary of being "jipped" in cafes/restaurants/clubs/bars (this happens very often), do not make loud drunken scenes (unless you want to be a large target for pick pocket or robbery), and the rest is self explanatory.
You can often earn "social points" with people if you are liberal, have a vast knowledge of music, food, geography,world history and are well traveled. I have found these things to be quite helpful deterrents from harrassment. Also if you can prove yourself somewhat knowledgeable in global politics, business, and news this is very helpful. And as always, compliment the native population often, tell them they are lucky to live in such a beautiful and culturally enriched place, tell them the food is amazing, and emphasize that you are enjoying your stay.
I apologize for the change in tone of this blog..but, it needed to be out there on the internet for all to see. It is very important to understand that being an American outside of America is not the same as being an American inside America.
To conclude, walking on all these egg shells here is getting old and I'm going to be happy to be home in the gold ol' Midwestern United States, which, by the way, stereotypically known as the home of the friendliest of all Americans who happen to have some great sports teams, good American light beer, and the best place to go shopping in the world.
I still love the U.S.A.
America makes prodigious mistakes, America has colossal faults, but one thing cannot be denied: America is always on the move. She may be going to Hell, of course, but at least she isn't standing still. -E.E. Cummings (American Poet)
Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? -Homer Simpson
And so, my fellow Americans.. Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.-John F. Kennedy
No comments:
Post a Comment