Monday, January 22, 2007

OTRAS COSAS

EL ASEO

The toilet in my flat is way weird. It sounds like a jet taking off and flushes for more than 60 seconds, I swear. Also, the tank is on the ceiling. You have to pull a long string to flush.

NO HAY MICROHORNO

We have no microwave and I have never cooked anything with out one. This is a problem. To top it off I had to buy lighters to light the gas for the stove. I may learn a lot here. The only cook books here are Basque food…so the food I am going to learn to cook is going to be weird I’m sure.

Also, there is no dryer. Everyone hangs things to dry. I guess it is good for the environment though so I’m ok with it.

TORTILLAS

I had my first real Spanish breakfast this morning which was a “pedazo de tortilla” and “jugo de naranja natural.” If you don’t know Spanish, then you probably don’t know that in Spain a tortilla is NOT a flat piece of bread…oh no, it is in fact a potato & egg omelet. And the orange juice here is awesome. They throw oranges in a machine and then it squeezes out pure juice. (There are orange trees here all around too).

PINTXOS

[pronounced Pean(rhymes with bean)-chos]
If you ever visit the Basque Country…eat these. They are fairly generous portions and cost a little over 1 Euro. They make a great inexpensive lunch/dinner out. They are the Basque equivalent to Tapas…only since the Basque Country has the best food in Spain…Pintxos tend to be tastier than Tapas. I had one today which was a tuna sandwich with shrimp. The mayo they use here tastes sooo good-garlicky- and since we are on the Atlantic the seafood is very fresh.


SODEXHO

No, Sodexho is not Spanish or Basque for anything. It’s the catering company that both Schaumburg H.S. and Marquette use for food as well as….like every other school in the U.S. (except apparently Boston College because their cafeteria food is privately catered from gourmet restaurants). In short, the café at La Universidad de Deusto has Sodexho food…San Sebastian has the best food in Spain and they have to order Sodexho in the caf…pathetic. Boo. Pintxos are way better and way cheaper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, good luck with that Cafeteria food. We don't actaully use them here though, bbut I remeber the SHS caf food.. The hot pretzels were good :)

So you get a fun toliet? That should keep life exciting.

I'm not sure about the no dryer thing, that would require hanging things on the line that normally most people don't see... But it is good for the enviroment, so thats a plus. The Europeans can save the planet one load of laundry at a time.

Anonymous said...

HOLA!!
SOY LEIRE...HABER UN PAR DE COSILLAS...JEJEJE...LOS ALUMNOS ESTAMOS AHORA DE EXMAS, NO DE VACACIONES(JEJE..OJALA..) AHHH!! Y LO DE LA SECADORA AQUI ES RARO, AQUI NADIE TIENE, NO SOLO POR EL MEDIOAMBIENTE SINO PORQUE TAMBIEN ESTROPEA LA ROPA.
VENGA, HASTA OTRA!!
Y POR CIERTO, ESTA SUPER INTERESANTE TU BLOG
LEIRE CALVO