Saturday, May 26, 2007

<3 Euskadi



I really have developed a great appreciation for the Basque Country (Pais Vasco), or Euskadi (it's Basque name). Not just the Spanish Basque Country, but also French Pays Basque, as well. All the pictures in the previous post are from Biarritz, France, which is part of the French Basque Country. There, they speak Euskera (Basque) as well as French, obviously. I love that they are trying to revive the culture here. If you look closely in pictures you will see that names of stores, restaurants, bars are all Basque. And, it would be rare for me to have a 'Maria' or 'Jose' in class because everyone has Basque names, which I like a lot. Last names here can be nearly impossible to pronounce though.

Yeah, it rains a lot in the Basque Country, but you get used to it. It is very green. Not at all how you would imagine Spain to be. The Basque Country is full of mountains and lies on the Bay of Biscay, or Bahia Vizkaya. The hiking trails are awesome here. Beaches are beautiful too. Yeah, so it rains a lot, but it definetely makes me appreciate the sun more.

The Basque Country has a bad rep. But, not amongst the people that actually travel here. Yes, the ETA does exist. But, you will rarely hear about anything or see anything. There are 'manifestaciones' on occasion, but no worries. The vast majority of people are all peaceful. I feel safer here, or anywhere in Europe for that matter, than I do in Milwaukee most of the time.

If anyone is interested in traveling Spain, please do not pass up the Basque Country! You will not be sorry if you come here! From Bilbao's Guggenheim to San Sebastian's food and beaches to the lovely French towns of Hendaye and Biarritz..you can not go wrong. :0)

The few Basque words I actually know:
Bai: yes
Ez: no
Kaixo: hello
Agur: goodbye
Eskerrik Asko: thank you
Zorionak: Congratulations
Ongi Etorri: Welcome

also "tx" is a letter combo found very often here which makes a "ch" sound.

(pictures from wikipedia)

No comments: