Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Culture Clash: Nudity

So, I'm editing this post because the last one was possibly a tad too blunt. In any case, this post was about nudity in Europe, mainly Spain, and mainly on the beaches. I just wanted to briefly mention that Europeans have no shame whatsoever when it comes to stripping down in public. I noticed this last time I went to Europe for WYD 2005 when the showers were communal, and I was the ONLY one who brought a suit. And yes, I wore it.

Since San Sebastian has several beaches, which I frequent, I see nudity all the time. Everyone is naked on the beach, in fact its only weird for us Americans that people can lay out naked with their entire family, in laws, neighbors, people from school, etc... Apparently everyone is totally cool with this naked thing, but us. And, we are the only people (aside from the Asian cultures and probably the Latin Americans too) who have issues with taking our tops off on the beach. Just can't do it. Too akward. Also, I should mention that the nudity applies to all ages.

This brings me to people sleeping naked in hostels. This occurs a lot more than I ever though. Does it bother me? Eh, not anymore.

And its not like nudity in public is the only time you will see naked people because the body wash commercials on TV have more nudity than an R rated movie.

Anyway, if you are planning a trip here, prepare yourself...or, maybe you are brave and can just join in. After all, its obviously a difference of culture, not religion, if God's opinion had you worried.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was this really necessary?remember you grandma will be reading it! mom