Thursday, April 19, 2007

Praying for Virginia Tech

Now that I'm finally finished updating everything to do with spring break, I can move on to new news...the Virgina Tech Massacre.

I found out Monday at about 8 P.M., which is noon back in Central Standard Time, when I opened the internet and saw the story on Yahoo.

Of course, the entire world knows. Trust me, it has come up just about every second of every day since.

Europeans love to comment about it and make it into a giant anti-U.S. government/ gun control debate. Anyone who knows me well knows how I feel about firearms and the NRA, so I'm sure you can guess how I would vote..but, I was getting so sick of people turning this tradgedy into "it happened because of America's culture and this would never happen in Europe" speeches. I get into "heated" discussions every now and then too, defending things I shouldn't have to defend.

In fact, two of my professor's put us Americans on spot in class asking why the U.S. allows guns to be purchased so easily, why it's easier to buy a gun than alcohol in America, why anyone would even have a gun, why these things always seem to happen in the U.S and not Europe, why the U.S. has 1/3 of the world's hand guns, why why why why why........

And, I do not have the answers to these questions. I do not own a gun...but, according to the statistics, maybe I should??!!!

Lastly, they show much more graffic photos of the tradgedy in European news.

To conclude, all of us from the U.S. who are here are very sad about it and it is just one more thing that makes it more difficult to come home since we feel safer here than at home.

Over 30,000 people die each year in the U.S. due to firearm violence.

Americans in Spain are praying for you...

No comments: