Thursday, April 19, 2007

Spring Break Day 11: April 14, 2007









So this brings me to my day in Rome and the Vatican.

I woke up at 7:30 and left the hostel by 8 A.M.

I had a map but no real plan on where I was walking..I just figured I would walk until I saw something...haha. Well, I walked about 3 minutes and ended back up at the bus stop at Termini and spotted the CitySightSeeing Tour bus (same company I had used to see Luxembourg). I decided to go over and see if I could get a ticket, and I did for 14 Euro. Again, its a hop on/hop off bus with a ticket good for 24 hours.

Colloseum:




What is left of an aquaduct:


So, I sat on the top level and took pics of all the ruins from the bus. I know people who are history majors or fans of the ruins are probably outraged that I didn't get off the bus to see these things up close and pay 15 Euro to view the inside of the Colosseum..but, time and money are everything when sightseeing/traveling and I only had 1 day in Rome. Plus, its awkward taking pictures of oneself.

Circus Maximus is below (old site of Christian slaughter and games) and yet more ruins. I actually saw a lot of ruins like Caesar's Forum and all that jazz but I didn't take too many pics.



My first priority was the Vatican so that was my first visit. I got through the line fairly quickly and first went to visit JPII's tomb to leave some prayers with him.

The tiny nation (population 400) of the Vatican:







Then I took a good long look at St. Peter's. Its too big and too touristy to feel holy or spiritual for me...I don't know. I didn't like the feeling I got there. Meh.

By the time I did those 2 things, I didn't have time to wait in line to see the museum and Sistine Chapel...oh well. Like I said...1 day in Rome..can't do it all.

So I hopped back on the bus and took it to a stop near Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. I followed the signs until I found both of them.

Spanish Steps (notice the creepy man in my picture):






Trevi Fountain(too crowded to enjoy):







They were both packed with massive crowds of totally creepy people. So, I took my pics there awkwardly of myself and decided to wander about and try to find some food. First I bought pizza. Bad idea...not tasty. So, that went to the basura and I continued my walk...

As I was walking down the street I heard someone yelling "Amie, Amie, Amie..." and then I turned around and it was my friend Tim from Schaumburg who I used to work with. I had actually planned to meet up with him and had texted him earlier, but apparently his phone was broken so he went to find me in crazy tourist-packed Rome! He was actually purchasing something in a store when he looked out the window and saw me and left the cashier to chase me down the street. Hahaha. What luck!

In any case we went for lunch and sat outside. I had pasta of course and got over charged probably because I'm American..but, the waiter was moody so I was not about to deal with him and I payed the extra 4 euro. Now that I look back, I should have fought it because I enjoy a good argument when I know I'm right. :0)

Next we went to the Pantheon. Saw a BEAUTIFUL bride there taking wedding pictures, which is actually a really dumb idea infront of the Pantheon when there are a gazillion tourists and gypsies. But, whatever.

Pantheon(also too crowded to enjoy):



Then we shopped, got gelato (I got pistachio), visited Castle St. Angelo, and went back to the Vatican and looked at pics and talked about traveling and home.

Castle St. Angelo:




Me and Tim:


Then I hopped back on my bus and took it to Termini. When I got back to the hostel I showered and packed, talked with other travelers, and went to bed at 9:30.

And with my 1 day in Italy, I have decided I don't want to go back. Ever (well maybe to Venice or Florence, but I'll pass on Rome.)

And on that note, here is my top ten points of advice for visiting this city:

1) Do not make eye contact with anyone
2) Keep your hands in pockets or against your body (people often play mind games by tying things to people's arms and yelling at them and making them pay 10-30 Euro to get it off).
3)If someone cuts in line, cut back. Shove your way through crowds like you are a participant in a buffalo stampede.
4)No need to smile or be nice because no one is smiling or being nice to you.
5)Act like you are better than everyone else-good posture, nice clothes, walk tall and slowly.
6)If someone throws something at you/or in your direction, do not catch it. Even if you think its a baby...just pretend you don't see anything and walk on..Also, do not take pictures for ANYONE or let them take a picture of you. Bad bad bad ideas..
7)Don't let people rip you off like I did, argue back. Italians love a good shouting match.
8)Look both ways 10 times before you cross the road. Never trust Italian drivers.
9)Do not walk near Termini at night alone (yeah, I did...but I had no choice). Just that I don't recommend it.
10) Do not give the homeless money or show anyone where you have your money (which should btw, be hidden under clothing COMPLETELY. If money is around the neck and the string is showing..someone will cut it.

And I heard a couple of times that a good joke to play on thieves is keep a fake wallet in your pocket while hiding your money elsewhere on your body, but fill the wallet full of free prayer cards. :0)

Also, another thing to keep in mind about Italy...they love to go on strike. So, beware trains, buses, etc...may not be available when you need it. They are also not too happy with the U.S. right now either due to military and political issues, so watch your back.

This is a city, in my honest opinion, which is not suitable to bring children to. I got really nervous watching families with little kids and I judged parents a lot there for not keeping a close enough eye on their kids.

In any case, I'm sure it would have been lovely minus a million of the people there.

Random Roman pics:






In conclusion: Rome = Total Chaos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amelia! So, I randomly decided to click on your blog address and was skimming through and saw mention of not walking alone near Termini at night. I stayed at a hotel a block away from Termini in Rome and actually I'd recommend not walking there in groups either :) haha... it's a scary place at night and one of my friends almost got mugged there! We also almost got mugged by a man dressed like a gladiator at the Colloseum. Rome is just a delightful place :)

Glad to see your enjoying your trip...

Jen Schnupp