Monday, April 16, 2007

Spring Break Day 6: Easter Monday

I have no pictures from this day.

But I have to talk a bit more on Polish tradition now.

So, in Poland, Easter Monday is a another day off work and another day where everyone should go to mass. This is because it commemorates the birth of Christianity in Poland with the baptism of Prince Miezcko in 966A.D. on Easter Monday.

It is called Lany Poniedzialek" or "Smigus- Dyngus" or in English I suppose we might just say "Wet Monday."

So this is a day where all the males have a chance to throw buckets of/squirt water at all the females. In the old days it was supposed to be a thing for unmarried girls and if you all the girls wanted to get wet because that meant that the guy liked you or you were more likely to be married or you were good looking...some sort of flirtation thing. But nowadays with changing times and the whole "sexist" thing its a bit different I suppose and supposedly anyone can sqirt one another.

I only saw little boys with water guns all over the place mostly shooting at younger women or girls. The boy were usually hiding in the bushes, especially outside churches. But, it was nothing too drastic that I saw. Although apparently the police issued a warning that if they saw anything inappropriate, it was going to be bad news for the boys.

So anyways, on Easter Monday I went to mass in Silesia with Monika, Rajmund, and Damian. Afterwards we had dinner at the house of Rajmund's parents with his brother as well. It was a lovely home in Silesia and a delicious traditional Silesian meal complete with meat, potato dumplings, red cabbage, and lots of cakes.

Afterwards I went to another Easter party at the cousins of Jola and Monika where I ate even more cake. They were such nice people though. And the whole Easter weekend I was wishing I could say more than like 20 words in Polish and actually talk instead of just smile and watch.

Then we returned back to Sosnowiecz for yet another meal complete with cake. And I got to watch lost which was English only narrated over in Polish...a little challenging to hear the English at times, but better than nothing.

No comments: