Monday, April 16, 2007

Spring Break Day 4: Saturday April 7, 2007

My flight from Germany's Frankfurt Hahn Airport to Krakow, Poland's Jana Pawla II Airport took off early (Ryanair) and landed ahead of schedule at about noon. Poland is a newer member of the European Union, which complicates things a bit because it is not yet under the Schengen treaty (so I understand). And for this reason, there is still passport checks and border control to go through when entering and exiting Poland from another EU nation.

If you are familiar with traveling between the other EU nations you know you do not have to go through passport control or customs. So I got a couple of questions at the border...Why are you here? Oh, Ok. That's nice. Stamp.....

I then met Jola's sister Monika and Monika's husband Rajmund and her son Damian at the airport and we drove to Sosnowiecz to stay with her parents for Easter weekend.

When I first arrived we greeted eachother (3 kisses on the cheek in Poland) and then I had a birthday/Easter package waiting for me from my mom. In it was a little something for everyone including a Spiderman blanket my mom made for Damian.




We then ate of course. Food is very important and we had traditional Polish soup and croquetes. Delicious. My favorite.

I got to meet Kora, the sweetest little doggie.



Then we went to the church for an Easter basket blessing. This basket blessing is called Swieconka. The basket contains a little sampling of all the traditional Easter foods. The blessed food is then not eaten until Easter. The typical foods to be blessed include and symbolize the following: egg(JC's resurrection), bread(JC), lamb(JC), salt(purification), horseradish(bitter sacrifice of JC), ham(joy and abundance).

I really like this tradition a lot. I think I may start it myself next year. Someone remind me.

We took a drive to the city of Katowice, which is the capital of Silesia ( a region in Poland where they speak a different language).









We also drove through downtown area of Sosnowiecz.

I got to visit the castle where Jola and John met:








And, I visited the church on the hill where Jola's parents got married:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the puppy. Its so cute! And I will remind you about the Easter basket blessing. :)